Canterbury Eid Festival 2016 = Alhamdullillah. Masha Allah. AllahuAkbar.
I can’t say anything that could top that really. Everything that we had planned turned out beautifully and I can’t ask for a much better outcome. The atmosphere was electric, you can feel the happiness and excitement in the air as guests trickle into the hall with a warm smile on their face. Hugs and greetings of “Assalamualaikum, how are you!” echoed throughout the day as they see a familiar faces of friends within the community. Scenes of children dragging an adult is also common especially around the face painting area and other inflatables….
It was satisfying to see our guests enjoying the day as much as we did. I have to say that the performances took centre stage (no pun intended) on the day – the children did an amazing job with their skits, the martial arts folks fought well, and the impromptu debka was fantastic. Armed with their cellphones, guests (and staff..) were ready to capture the actions that were happening on stage.
I’d like to take this opportunity also to thank a few supporters that made the event a success that it was:
- Canterbury Muslim Community Trust for facilitating the sponsorship to fund this event.
- Muslim Youth of Canterbury and Kelab UMNO Christchurch for providing us the manpower to run the event. Not forgetting the ad-hoc volunteers! They are the real heroes on this day. Without them, we would not have been able to run the event as smoothly as we did. Thank you for your hard work and commitment to this event.
- Masjid An-Nur Christchurch’s Imam Gamal for a profoundly beautiful speech on the significance of Eid.
- Sponsors – DubbaDubba, Sabry’s Souvlaki, and The Donut Boutique for their continual support of our events.
- Christchurch’s Mayor Lianne Dalziel for allowing us to share our culture and celebration
To top it off we have had coverage from the local media which is really encouraging! Again, we would like to thank you for making time to come out and enjoy Eid with us. Alhamdulillah for an amazing day; we apologize for any shortcomings and hope to deliver a better one next year!
See you at our next event coming soon in Summer. Stay tuned!